Smita Vassan is a Senior Associate in our Banking and Finance Department of our Johannesburg office and a member of the Project Finance Practice.
Smita is an experienced associate with a demonstrated history of working in legal practice, she has worked in the Renewable Energy and Project Finance space, with a particular focus on renewable energy finance, under the South African Renewables Energy Independent Power Producer Programmes, as well as cross-border renewable energy finance transactions, with a developing profile in the oil and gas sphere, both locally and cross-border.
Smita also has all round corporate finance experience, having worked on an array of general banking and finance, real estate finance and development project finance deals.
Smita completed her articles and practiced at one of South Africa’s top local law firms, as well as completing a short stint at one of the international law firms with offices in South Africa. Smita has completed her Bachelor of Commerce with a double major in Law and Accounting, and completed her postgraduate LLB (with distinction) at the University of the Witwatersrand.
- Lenders legal advisor on three solar projects to be concluded under the Risk Mitigation Renewable Independent Power Producer Programme.
- Lenders legal advisor in respect of the refinance and restructure of projects closed under Round 1 and Round 2 of the Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Programmes.
- Consortium advisor in respect of a gas-fired power station and LNG facility situated in Beluluane Industrial Park area of Matola, Mozambique.
* prior to joining Bowmans
- Advised the Anchor Group in respect of their ZAR 900 million de-listing from the JSE with RMB funding the the share repurchase and consequent delisting from the JSE*
- Advised the African Development Bank in respect of a ZAR 2 billion domestic medium term note programme. This investment is listed on the Green bonds segment of the Johannesburg Stock Exchange*
- Advised the International Finance Corporation in relation to USD 5 million and USD 10 million micro-lending facilities in Burkina Faso and Senegal, respectively*
- Lenders legal advisors on review of the Risk Mitigation Renewable Independent Power Producer Programmes, and due diligences conducted in respect of prospective bidding projects*
- Consortium advisor under the Risk Mitigation Renewable Independent Power Producer Programmes in respect of bid documentation review, bid compliance and bid submission under the round.*
- Advising as Borrower counsel on the financing and re-financing of ZAR 1 billion finance facilities for a South African telecommunications operator.*