- Publications & Insights
Sophie Nyombi is a senior associate in our Kampala office, and a member of our Dispute Resolution Department.
Before joining the firm, Sophie was a Legal Research Assistant at the High Court of Uganda (Commercial Division) where she directly assisted Hon. Justice Geoffrey Kiryabwire who is currently a Justice of the Court of Appeal.
Her practice extends to commercial litigation, banking & finance, corporate & commercial transactional advice, mergers and acquisitions, private equity, company secretarial, regulatory advice and employment.
Sophie handles litigation on behalf of the firm’s banking clients including Bank of Uganda (the Central Bank of Uganda) Equity Bank Limited and DFCU Bank Uganda Limited.
She has assisted many of our corporate and high net worth clients in land acquisitions and registration of various interests in land as well as litigation in the same. Most prominent in this regard is the Kabaka of Buganda a cultural leader and the largest land owner in Uganda.
Sophie has a LLB (Hons) degree from the Makerere University, Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre and a Certificate in Advanced Arbitration and Mediation from International Law Institute in cooperation with Georgetown University.
- Advised Carlyle Group in the proposed acquisition of 60% shareholding in AK Life Science Limited and its subsidiaries in Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania.
- Advised CDC Group Plc’s in the acquisition of 10-15% shareholding in Liquid Telecom Holdings Limited.
- Advised Convergence Partners in the acquisition of 60% shareholding in Roke Telecom International Limited.
- Advised Mauritius telecom in the bidding process to acquire the assets of Uganda Telecom Limited of about USD 100M.
- Currently acting for the Central Bank of Uganda, Equity Bank, DFCU Bank in many contentious debt recovery suits.
- Advised National Development Bank Plc (Sri Lanka) as lenders in a financing worth USD 5.13 million for construction of a 2.7MW power generation facility in Western Uganda.
- Advised Sun Funder Inc in a financing facility worth USD 2 million to Solar Now Uganda.
- Advised various financial institutions on securitization, creation of charges, preparing standard loan and security documents.
- Conducted the securities review for DFCU Bank securities and securities acquired from Crane Bank and Gold Trust Bank where she advised on legal risk and compliance.
- Advised Lendable Inc on the purchase of receivables from Tugende Limited worth USD 6 million.
- Advised MultiChoice Africa Limited in a legal compliance due diligence and company secretarial matters.
- Advised Simons and Simons in respect to the receivable financing product that Standard Chartered Bank intends to extend to Uganda
- Conducted the securities review for Orient Bank Limited where she advised on legal risk and compliance.
- Advised Marriott International on various management agreements in respect to the management of hotel and serviced apartment in Uganda.
- Advised several corporations and private individuals and estates on the acquisition and disposal of land.
- Acted for the largest land owner in Uganda, the Kabaka of Buganda with regard to land matters such as compensation, acquisition and delivery of vacant possession.
- Advised various charity organizations in Uganda on registration of various leasehold interests in Uganda.
- Advised difference high net worth individuals on estate matters including preparation of Wills and Testaments.
- Advised Libya Oil Kenya Limited in the acquisition of shares in Libya Oil Uganda worth USD 8,119,906
- Advised Vegol Limited in the acquisition of Mukono Industries’ business assets worth USD 1 million
- Advised African Evangelistic Enterprises (AEE) on general employment matters and the restructuring of Nile Vocation Institute Njeru.