- Publications & Insights
Tamara Dini is a partner in our Cape Town office, in the Competition Practice.
She specialises in various aspects of competition law including mergers and behavioural matters and has experience across a broad range of business sectors and industries, including the energy sector (oil and gas), the chemical industry, transport sector, (air and rail), financial services sector (including insurance), the packaging industry, pharmaceuticals, tobacco industry, airline industry, airline catering services, health and fitness sector, the cement sector, food and beverage sector, the motor vehicle industry, construction industry, various sectors of the advertising industry (including marketing, merchandising and communications) and the agriculture sector.
Tamara has assisted clients with a number of hostile mergers.
Tamara also assists clients with mergers that require notification in African countries outside South Africa, including in COMESA. She also advises on compliance and behavioral matters in African countries outside South Africa.
Tamara is a member of the American Bar Association’s International Law Section and Antitrust Law Section. She is also a member of the Cape Law Society’s Special Committee on Competition Law.
Tamara has BA, LLB and LLM degrees from the University of Cape Town.
- Assisted Anheuser-Busch InBev with the sale of its Zambian maheu business to Fairy Bottling Zambia Ltd., a transaction approved by the Zambian Competition & Consumer Protection Commission.
- Assisting Anheuser-Busch InBev with the sale of its Zambian non-alcoholic ready-to-drink business to The Coca Cola Company, a transaction notified to the COMESA Competition Commission. Assisted Melrose Industries plc in its acquisition of GKN plc, a transaction notified as a hostile merger.
- Assisted Komatsu in the South African merger control process in its acquisition of mining equipment manufacturer, Joy Global, Inc.
- Assisted China National Agrochemical Company with the African merger notifications required for the acquisition of Syngenta AG. In Africa the transaction was notified in South Africa, Kenya and COMESA.
- Assisted SABMiller plc in its transaction with Anheuser-Busch InBev, including merger notifications in all African jurisdictions.
- Assisted Standard Industries in its takeover offer for Braas Monier Building Group S.A.
- Representing clients in investigations before the competition authorities in Namibia and Tanzania and has assisted with abuse of dominance matters in Zambia.
- Tamara provides regulatory advice and assists clients with compliance training to ensure compliance with the competition laws of other African countries.
- Recognised in Who’s Who Legal: Thought Leaders – Competition 2019. Tamara is one of only two competition lawyers in South Africa, both from Bowmans, to received recognition in this category.
- Chambers and Partners, 2018 ranked Tamara in Band 4 for Competition / Antitrust.
- Listed in Global Competition Review 2018 in the Partners category.
- Recognised by Who’s Who Legal 2018 for Competition in the category: Future Leaders – Partners.
- Recognised by Who’s Who Legal 2018 for Competition law.
- Recognised by Best Lawyers 2017 for Competition / Antitrust law.
- Recognised by Who’s Who Legal 2017 as “Most Highly Regarded”.
- Chambers and Partners 2017 ranked Tamara in Band 4 for Competition.
- Legal 500 2017 lists Tamara as a recommended lawer for Competition.
Tamara Dini commands a strong reputation in the Cape Town market, nationally and across Africa. She has an impressive cross-border practice acting as South African counsel on multinational mergers and acquisitions in the consumer goods and chemicals industries. – Chambers and Partners 2018
Tamara Dini stands out to clients who say, “Her commercial ability is a huge asset to us.” One source maintains, “She is extremely knowledgeable, very practical and a very easy person to work with.” – Who’sWhoLegal 2017
Cape Town-based Tamara Dini “is extremely proficient at evaluating and weighing up multiple factors and the impact of various courses of action on an organisation.” She is a regular adviser to SABMiller with regards to its African operations, and was one of the firm’s lead lawyers advising the company on its proposed acquisition by Anheuser-Busch InBev. – Chambers and Partners 2017
Tamara Dini represented Engen Petroleum in connection with a complaint alleging collusion and boycotting brought by the Tanzanian Fair Competition Commission. She is described by her peers as “a great professional who brings substantive knowledge, responsiveness and client and business focus.” – Chambers and Partners 2016
Publications & Insights
- Getting the Deal Through: Merger Control
- Investors warned over agreements that divide markets in East and Southern Africa
- Lexology: A structured guide to Fintech in South Africa
- Africa Competition Law Seminar, February 2018
- An overview of competition law developments in Africa in 2016
- Competition law developments in Africa
- Chambers and Partners Merger Control 2016 : South Africa – Law & Practice
- Merger case study analysed by competition law experts at Bowman Gilfillan Africa Group’s Competition Law Seminar
- Keeping the competition strong
- Deal Makers – Development in Africa’s Competition Law
- Developments in Africa’s Competition Law
- Mozambique introduces Competition Law
- Getting the Deal Through – Merger Control 2014
- Understanding COMESA
- Hostile take-overs: Too much power to the prey