Theunis Claassen is a senior associate in the Corporate department of our Cape Town office, and a member of the Tax practice where he specialises in tax dispute resolution and corporate tax.
He has been involved in a number of tax disputes on behalf of large corporates and high-net-worth individuals, as part of which he advised on all related aspects, such as: responding to information requests by the revenue service, the preparation of pleadings, payment negotiations, settlement discussions and corresponding with the South African Revenue Service. Apart from dispute work, Theunis also advises on a variety of corporate tax and exchange control issues.
He holds BAcc and LLB degrees from the University of Stellenbosch, as well as a Masters in Commercial Law from the University of Cape Town. Theunis is a registered tax practitioner.
- Assisted a South African listed company operational in the agricultural, mining and manufacturing industries with a dispute in relation to a historic structured financing transaction.
- Assisted a South African high-net-worth individual with a variety of tax disputes relating to his personal investment companies and the treatment of certain financial instruments.
- Advised a large South African mining and engineering group in relation to the restructure of its South African operations through a cross border merger.
- Advised a South African corporate finance company on the establishment of a local venture capital fund and related tax issues.
- Advised a South African corporate finance company on the establishment of a preference share arrangement with Dutch counterparts.
- Assisted a listed short-term credit provider in negotiations with the revenue authorities regarding a compromise of their tax debts.