Tholinhlanhla (Tholi) Gcabashe is the Co-Head of M&A in our Johannesburg office.
He specialises in domestic and cross-border private mergers and acquisitions and general corporate and commercial matters, and has also been part of many high-profile M&A transactions in South Africa’s telecommunications, insurance, investment and property industries.
Tholi has an LLB from the University KwaZulu-Natal and a Certificate in Banking and Financial Markets from the University of the Witwatersrand.
Tholi has been part of many high profile mergers and acquisitions transactions including:
- Advising SABMiller in the recommended acquisition by Anheuser-Busch InBev of the entire issued and to be issued share capital of SABMiller;
- Advising China Investment Corporation on its acquisition of a 25% interest in Shanduka Group;
- Advising Puma Energy on its acquisition of a majority shareholding interest in Sakunda Petroleum in Zimbabwe;
- Advising Fountainhead Property Trust on its disposal of all of its assets and liabilities to Redefine;
- Advising on the M&A aspects of Alexander Forbes’s dual track (M&A and IPO) process which resulted in Alexander Forbes listing on the JSE;
- Advising VSNL SNO SPV, an affiliate of Tata Communications, on the disposal of shares in, and shareholder loan claims, against Neotel to Vodacom;
- Advising Apollo Global, Inc. in its acquisition of a controlling interest in Milpark Education Proprietary Limited;
- Advising Apollo Global, Inc. in the sale of its entire interest in Milpark Education to Stadio Holdings Limited and Brimstone Limited;
- Advising Laureate Education Inc. in relation to the sale of the education business from Monash South Africa Limited, its joint venture with Monash University, to ADvTECH;
- Advising Harmony Gold Mining Company Limited on its acquisition of the Moab Khotsong Mine, the Great Noligwa Mine and related infrastructure from AngloGold Ashanti.