- Publications & Insights
Yusuf Mawanda is a senior associate in our Kampala office in our dispute resolution department
Yusuf’s speciality at the firm is corporate finance, syndicated lending, corporate advisory, land transactions, mergers and acquisitions with a niche in commercial litigation.
Yusuf holds an LLB (Hons) degree from Makerere University and a Diploma in Legal Practice at the Law Development Centre. Yusuf was called to the Ugandan bar in 2017 and he is a member of the Uganda Law Society and the East African Law Society.
- Advised National Development Bank of Sri- Lanka on a loan facility of US$ 5,130,000 towards construction and commissioning of a proposed 2.7MW mini hydro power project in Kabarole district.
- Acting for China National Offshore Oils Corporation (CNOOC) regarding the arising litigation from the Kyangwali region in Hoima District, Uganda.
- Participated in a due diligence exercise for Kansai Plascon Africa Limited while acquiring Sadolin Paints Uganda Limited in Uganda a transaction worth USD 7,000,000.
- Attending to a securities review due diligence exercise for dfcu Bank Limited for all its customer accounts and all the customer accounts acquired from Crane Bank Limited (In Receivership).
- Participated in a due diligence exercise for Bank of Uganda as a statutory manager for Crane Bank Limited in compiling data at the Uganda Registration Services Bureau for the leading customers of Crane Bank Limited.
- Advised Wild Forests and Fauna on its registration as a foreign Non-Governmental Organization in Uganda.
- Advised Celanese Sales Germany Gmbh in an international fraud mandate involving Monster Beverages Uganda Limited worth Euro 300,762.
- Advised Google (C-Squared) Limited on the transfer of employment contracts and change of control of the employer in the Ugandan law perspective.
- Advised dfcu Bank Limited on its acquisition of shares in Crane Financial Services Limited a listed company in Uganda.
- Advised GEMS Cambridge International on the employment regulatory framework in the Uganda law perspective.
- Acting for the Uganda Bankers Association with all the 25 banks in Uganda in a litigation regarding payment of trade licensing fees to municipal councils and local authorities and as well as for all the Automated Teller Machines.
- Advised Kerry Logistics Holding (Europe) Limited, Starse Energy Limited, GEMS Cambridge International limited and LVMT (Uganda) limited on its incorporation and/or registration in Uganda.
- Advised Libya Oil Uganda on the voluntary winding up of a related company Tamoil Limited in Uganda and employment legal frame work applicable in the Ugandan context.
- Acting for the Registered Trustees of the Indian Recreation Club in the High Court of Jinja over a land dispute regarding the ownership of Kakindu Stadium.
- Advised Spencon Services Limited in a matter regarding recognition of foreign proceedings in Uganda concerning administration in Insolvency practice.
- Advised Equity Bank Uganda Limited and Equity Bank Kenya Limited on a banking facility of USD 8,500,000.00 extended towards Mariana Agencies Limited.
- Advising and acting for Horizon Energy LLC in a shareholders dispute and fraud among the shareholders of Kisita Mining Company Limited.
- Acting for Roko Construction Limited in a litigation dispute regarding construction of town houses in the proposed satellite Naguru estate against Opec Prime Properties Limited for a sum of USD 3,000,000.
- Acted for a prominent Member of Parliament in a constitutional petition regarding the declaration and legality of Kampala capital city as a district.
- Continues to act for different clients on land litigation matters, debt recovery and employment advisory.
- Advised Oxfam Novib on the voluntary winding up of its subsidiary companies INOW Centers Limited and SINFA Uganda Limited incorporated in Uganda.
- Acting for and representing Busoga Forestry Company Limited on its accrued commercial litigation matters.
- Advising Zhengtu Mining Development Company Limited on a Mining Sub-Lease transaction valued at USD 200,000.
- Represented various estates in obtaining letters of administration and probate and handling estates disputes.
- Advising and representing clients in matters of real estate, acquisition and settling lawful or bonafide occupants claims.