BOWMANS AWARDED TOP RANKINGS IN THE LEGAL 500’S EMEA REPORT FOR 2022
Bowmans has once again been recognised as a leading African law firm in East and South Africa in the 2022 edition of The Legal 500's Europe, Middle East and Africa Report which was released earlier this week.
The firm achieved rankings across 22 legal areas, with 12 of these being included in the top tier – the highest possible ranking in the report. The firm’s Mauritius office was ranked for the first time.
Thirty-one of the firm’s lawyers received individual rankings with three of the firm’s lawyers included in the prestigious 'hall of fame' list; 17 named ‘leading individuals’; six recognised as ‘next generation partners’; and five included in the ‘rising stars’ category.
According to Legal 500 EMEA editor, Ella Marshall, their researchers contact over 300,000 clients across the world, 'to obtain feedback on which law firms meet the criteria required by today’s in-house counsel and business leaders' and, 'all of this is used to benchmark each law firm versus competitors in the practice area in question.'
According to the report:
- the ability of Bowmans’ Mauritius practice 'to 'take ideas from many countries and fuse them into a singular recommendation' is singled out and enables practitioners to advise on the most complex cross-border matters involving Mauritian structuring expertise' (Leading firms, Mauritius);
- Its full-service practice in Tanzania 'works closely with the firm's offices in other African jurisdictions to advise local and international clients on cross-border M&A, financings, projects and disputes' (Leading firms, Tanzania);
- Its Kampala office ‘is particularly notable for its market-leading banking and finance and fintech practice' and the firm 'is sought out by domestic, regional, and international commercial banks, financial institutions, and multinational companies entering Uganda' (Leading firms, Uganda);
- Bowmans’ 'full-service' M&A team in South Africa 'handles significant transactions across the continent, especially regarding public M&A mandates. It also has an established private equity practice' (Commercial, corporate and M&A, South Africa);
- Bowmans has 'a market-leading practice with strengths in securities matters, project finance transactions, regulatory issues and asset management work, among other areas' (Banking, finance and capital markets, Kenya);
- The firm has 'an established dispute resolution department, which is notable for its experience in international arbitration, insolvency, IP, governance, compliance and investigations. Much of the disputes work at the firm involves cross-border matters' (Dispute Resolution, Kenya); and
- Bowmans' Zambian presence is ‘particularly prominent in cases of litigation, including multimillion-dollar class actions’ (Leading firms, Zambia).
Chairman and senior partner, Ezra Davids, says, “We are proud of these results especially being lauded by our clients for the calibre and ability of our people to meet their business needs. These latest achievements are the result of our continuous hard work and commitment to help clients with their most complex legal issues across Africa. This recognition is an endorsement of our ‘one firm’ approach - one of the many reasons that our clients choose us.”