BOWMANS’ ‘MARKET-LEADING’ POSITION ACROSS AFRICA CONTINUES TO BE RECOGNISED BY INDEPENDENT RESEARCH ORGANISATIONS
Bowmans expertise in East and South Africa has, once again, been lauded in The Legal 500’s Europe, Middle East and Africa Report for 2021. The report, which was released yesterday (14 April 2021), provides a third-party endorsement of the firm’s market-leading position across Africa.
Chairman and senior partner, Robert Legh, says: ‘We are very proud of this hard-earned recognition across our geographical footprint in Africa.’
Bowmans expertise was rated in 20 practice areas, with 11 of these being included in the top tier.
A total of 66 lawyers were mentioned by name in the commentary for their standout contributions in various practice areas. Further, three of Bowmans’ lawyers were included in the prestigious 'hall of fame' list; 19 were named ‘leading individuals’; seven were recognised as ‘next generation partners’, and five were included in the ‘rising stars’ category.
The rankings are determined by extensive research into the capabilities of law firms in over 150 jurisdictions. According to the publication, the Legal 500 highlights the teams that are providing the ‘most cutting edge and innovative advice to corporate counsel’.
According to the report,
- Bowmans has ‘built a major presence in East Africa with the Dar es Salaam office having an integral role in the firm's growth in the region’ (Leading firms, Tanzania);
- Its Kampala office ‘is well placed to advise on high-value cross-border transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, expansion into new jurisdictions, and multi-jurisdictional compliance matters’ (Leading firms, Uganda);
- The firm continues ‘to be at the forefront of cross-border M&A, with a number of mandates coming from foreign investors. The practice is a growing force in Africa cross-border deals, thanks in part to its mounting number of offices throughout the continent. Private equity is another key forte for the prestigious team’ (Commercial, corporate and M&A, South Africa);
- Bowmans is ‘frequently cited as a market leader in banking, finance and capital markets’ and have, ‘set the pace in capital markets, fintech, structured trade and commodities finance, and project finance’ (Banking, finance and capital markets, Kenya); and
- Its dispute resolution expertise in South Africa is ‘focused on key areas such as commercial disputes, class action cases, restructuring litigation and shareholder disputes… and international arbitration is another growth area’ and Bowmans has ‘an established presence in intellectual property disputes, international arbitration, tax litigation and insolvency cases’ in Kenya (Dispute resolution).