CHAMBERS AND PARTNERS: BOWMANS IS ‘A HIGHLY REGARDED CONTINENTAL OUTFIT’
Bowmans has been identified as ‘a highly regarded continental outfit' by Chambers and Partners. This comment was included in the 2021 edition of Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Business Lawyers, which was released yesterday (18 February 2021).
Chambers and Partners ranks the top lawyers and law firms in over 200 jurisdictions. Bowmans’ expertise was recognised in 34 practice areas (19 in Band 1) across five regional areas, and 74 of its lawyers achieved 91 individual rankings.
Chairman and Senior Partner, Robert Legh, says ‘We are very pleased with these results. Chambers has a credible research methodology and is well respected in the legal industry. As such, these results serve as an important external endorsement of our expertise and standing in the market. It’s good to see that our Africa-wide capability is getting the recognition we feel it deserves.’
A sample of the comments made by the researchers is as follows.
- 'Maintains a formidable continental platform, with established footholds in South Africa, Kenya, Uganda and Mauritius, as well as recent additions in Zambia and Malawi… Commentators praise the firm's "pan-African approach," with one describing it as the "staple African firm."'
General Business Law
- Tanzania – 'High-profile law firm with a distinguished reputation in Tanzania and East Africa…Sources speak highly of the group: "They are an extremely competent, experienced and knowledgeable team," adding: "They are very customer-focused."'
- Uganda – 'Full-service Ugandan arm of a highly regarded continental outfit, renowned for its cross-border capabilities…One market commentator enthused: "Bowmans in Uganda is exceptional."'
Banking & Finance
- Kenya – 'Stellar banking and finance practice with a strong track record in complex and high-value deals…sources label the group as "top-tier" and note the "high-end commercial work" handled by the firm.'
- South Africa – 'Well-known group… represents a broad range of banking and financial clients across the African continent, and has experience featuring in complex deals involving numerous parties. Singled out for its prevalence acting on behalf of borrowers, in addition to its lender-side practice.'
- Kenya – 'Distinguished corporate group with an enviable track record in sophisticated, cross-border transactions.'
- South Africa – 'Stellar practice group which plays a significant role in many of the region's largest transactions... Offers impressive cross-border capabilities…Possesses further experience assisting with corporate restructuring and unbundling mandates. Has a deep bench of skilled practitioners, including a strong PE offering.'
- Kenya – 'Enlisted as counsel by a multitude of clients for their IP, tax and insolvency litigation matters…Leverages its comprehensive pan-African network to adeptly advise on cross-border matters.'
- South Africa – 'Has longstanding experience in a broad spectrum of commercial disputes…In addition to its litigious prestige, the firm maintains excellent standing for its ADR practice, with notable experience in arbitrations across Africa.'
- Kenya – 'Market-leading intellectual property group…Maintains its excellent IP coverage in East Africa, with a number of strong relationships with law firms on the African continent and around the globe.'