- Significant Matters
The industrial sector is an essential driving force in Africa’s economic development. Industry and industrial development are prerequisites for sustained economic and societal growth. Investment into the industrial sector is therefore seen as a key priority for most, if not all, African countries.
Undoubtedly, there are challenges and issues for any developing economy. These include insufficient power supply, too few suppliers within countries, and poor infrastructure. While these challenges may make it difficult for investors to lay down operations, industrial policy stimulating manufacturing production will create opportunities for vast wealth creation.
We understand the challenges that face industrial operations in Africa and are well-qualified to provide expert advice to our clients in this sector.
Our offering spans the full range of corporate services from providing counsel on the complex financing required to establish, develop and grow an organisation to major transactions (including disposals, acquisitions and other M&A activity) within the sector. Our service extends to all the specialist areas of law associated with activity of this nature including competition and antitrust, employment and tax.
For example, we have recently provided investment advice to a large manufacturer of plastics and plastic packaging products which has operations in Ethiopia, India, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and various holding companies in Mauritius and advised on the acquisition of a leading manufacturer of wire and cable solutions.
We also have extensive experience assisting clients in the sector to resolve disputes.
Our clients include major organisations in the automotive, chemical, construction materials, electrical, metals, mining and power generation equipment, packaging, paper, steel and other industrial manufacturing industries.
- SEIFSA’s industry-wide collective Bargaining agreements
- Tax dispute regarding accounting standards of obsolete and damaged closing stock
- PPC’s proposed merger negotiations
- Afrisam’s restructuring
- Airports Company South Africa
- Northam Platinum on its foreign acquisition the in USA
- Kenya Airways
- General Motors South Africa
- HNA Group
- Chevron Global Energy
- Safran S.A.
- Local counsel on acquisition of La Compagnie d’Exploitation des Services Auxiliaires Aériens S.A by HNA Aviation Group
- Car & General and Cummins BV joint venture
- Large voluntary industry body
- Liquidators for Nationwide Airlines
- Ccounsel to KIK Custom Products Inc.
- Africa competition counsel