- Significant Matters
While inadequate infrastructure is hampering growth in Africa, it also offers significant investment opportunities. Sustained investment in the key sectors of transport, telecommunications, power generation and mining will also unlock economic growth and improved access to critical social infrastructure (including public buildings, healthcare, education, water treatment and supply).
We help our clients at all stages of the economic life-cycle of infrastructure projects – from developing to acquiring to managing to restructuring to selling assets, including assisting with the necessary financing. Our team comprises African specialists in mergers and acquisitions, project and asset financing and refinancing, procurement,concessions and public private partnerships, construction, dispute resolution and regulatory compliance.
According to the Legal 500 we have “successfully developed a strong practice across Africa” and are “frequently instructed by private sector sponsors and lenders on major energy and infrastructure projects”.
We routinely handle complex finance transactions and have extensive knowledge of leveraged and acquisition finance,structured finance, capital markets, project finance, property finance, insolvency and restructuring, derivatives and securitisation. Our experience covers bilateral and syndicated loans, inter-creditor and agency agreements, export credit financing, guarantee and security issues.
Our presence ‘on-the- ground’ and ability to resolve challenges particular to infrastructure projects in Africa is a key differentiator as is our experience with complex domestic and cross-border infrastructure projects on the continent.
Our clients range from corporations to banks and financial institutions, sponsors and lenders, state-owned enterprises and government departments involved in major infrastructure projects. We also work with other law firms, particularly within the context of joint appointments with international legal counsel, to ensure the delivery of legal services appropriate to individual projects.
- Bowmans advises LSG SkyChefs on construction project at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi
- Bowmans advises Palabora Mining Company on is copper mining expansion project
- Bowmans advises WBHO on national road project in Swaziland
- Bowmans advised Gigawatt Global on its 100MW gas fired power station in Mozambique
- Bowmans advises on the construction aspects of a new cruise terminal and related infrastructure in South Africa
- Bowmans advises on construction contracts for a major roads PPP in Kenya
- Bowmans advises on disputes in relation to maintenance works on rail infrastructure
- Bowmans advises on a number of construction disputes
- Bowmans advises PPC in relation to R4 billion rights offer