- Significant Matters
Our debt capital markets (DCM) team is regarded as one of the strongest in the South African financial space. This is borne out by the impressive mandates that we secure both locally and internationally.
We are recognised for providing exceptional legal and transactional advice in this specialist area of law. Our expertise in stand-alone bond issues, domestic medium term note programmes, domestic issuances, inward listings, structured products, secured note programmes, secured note issuances and convertible bonds is particularly renowned.
We are differentiated in the South African market by our in-depth knowledge of the regulatory framework, which extends to exchange control; our relationships with the JSE, Strate and the South African Reserve Bank’s (SARB’s) Financial Surveillance Department; and for acting as South African counsel in respect of global/ euro medium term note programmes (regulation S and rule 144A issues). Members of our team sit on the JSE Listing Advisory Committee and on the Executive Committee of the South African Securitisation Forum.
Our practical and innovative approach to each transaction ensures that we deliver clear and concise solutions that enable our clients to conclude their transactions successfully. According to clients quoted by Chambers and Partners, we are, “top quality”, “clearly at the cutting edge” and “not just limited to South Africa either… [having] stretched up into Africa”.
We are active in several African jurisdictions in addition to those in which we are located, including Botswana, Ghana, Namibia, Nigeria and Zambia.
Our clients include banks, financial institutions, corporates, state-owned entities, municipalities and governments.
Our Specialist Services
- Standalone bond issues
- Domestic medium term note programmes and notes issuances
- Commercial paper programmes and commercial paper issuances
- Structured products
- Secured note programmes
- Inward listings
- Convertible bonds
- DCM regulatory advice
- Bowmans advises Santam Limited in connection with the establishment of its ZAR 4 billion Unsecured Subordination Callable Note Programme
- Bowmans advises JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. on the establishment of an inward listed programme
- Bowmans advises Hospitality Property Fund on the issuance of Senior Secured Floating Rates Notes
- Bowmans advises Hospitality Property Fund on the reinstatement of its DMTN Programme and the restructuring of the group’s existing security structure
- Bowmans advises AECI on Senior Unsecured Fixed Rate notes under its ZAR 5 billion DMTN Programme
- Bowmans advises AECI on the establishment of its ZAR 5 billion DMTN Programme