Our multi-disciplinary team of specialists is well-placed to advise the full range of impact investors, asset managers and fund managers across all asset classes in all sectors across sub-Saharan Africa, at every stage of the impact investment process from design through formation and measurement to exit.
We are also ready to advise industry bodies, regulators and governments on partnering for impact, which has significant potential to drive sustainable development on the African continent.
As a firm, we are actively contributing towards the development of the impact investment sector though our contributions to the Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI), UNEP FI and The Generation Foundation’s global research project – A Legal Framework for Impact – which seeks to analyse whether and how legal frameworks allow for, and incentivise, investors to consider sustainability impact.
We are also working closely with the Grunin Centre for Law and Social Entrepreneurship at New York University School of Law and the Bertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship at the University of Cape Town, among others, in their efforts to accelerate the development of ecosystems and markets that support impact investing.
Our service offering includes:
- B-BBEE – advising on all aspects of Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment in South Africa.
- Dispute resolution – advising investors on appropriate dispute resolution provisions, and the resolution of potential and actual disputes.
- Legal due diligence – identifying, managing and mitigating legal, counterparty, reputational and other risks that may affect the financial and nonfinancial returns of an impact investment.
- Governance – advising governing bodies and management on a range of issues in a variety of contexts.
- Impact investment structuring and fund formation.
- Measurement and management – advising on operational and legal issues relevant to the measurement and management of impact investment performance over time.
- M&A – advising on acquiring and/ or exiting/ divesting impact investments, or pursuing impact investment strategies, through M&A.
- Organisational form – embedding the investment and impact thesis, and appropriate governance mechanisms, into the organisational form, constitutional/ governing documents and related agreements.
- Regulatory advice.
- Sector-specific advice.
- Stewardship – advising on legal aspects of stewardship activities including governance reviews, disclosure and reporting, the exercise of voting rights, the incorporation of ESG and sustainable investing criteria into investment mandates and strategies, shareholder activism, policy development and collaborative engagements with other investors and investment managers.