- Significant Matters
For over a century, we have met the demands of the industry by providing shipping and logistics services to our extensive range of local and international clients. For our comprehensive Aviation service offering, click here.
Our lawyers have been involved in many of the most significant local casualties over the past two decades, recently including the collisions involving the “Chemstar Jewel” and the “Sunrise Jade”, the fires aboard the “Tai Shan” and the “Maersk Londrina”, the sinking of the “Kiani Satu”, the grounding of the “Smart” and the loss of containers overboard the “Seroja Lima”.
In addition to our casualty work, we regularly conduct litigation to enforce maritime claims on behalf of our clients. Recently we represented the successful appellant in the “Seaspan Grouse” before the Supreme Court of Appeal, in a matter concerning the status of protective writs under South African law and following from the financial collapse of Hanjin Shipping.
We have received praise from the Legal 500, highlighting the fact that we undertake work ranging from “traditional ship finance to major casualty work”; are “trustworthy”; have a “professional approach”; and provide “a prompt and efficient service” rooted in “a clear knowledge of the law”. Clients also appreciate our “international knowledge and perspective”.
According to a client quoted by Chambers & Partners, our team was “excellent”, “very practical” and “helped us get done what we had to get done in the most efficient way possible”. Another said the size of our team means we “can handle a big enforcement, with lots of moving parts and competing claims”.
Our specialist services include casualty response, shipping litigation, commercial shipping and finance and logistics.
In addition, our Ports Terminals and Logistics Corridors Sector Group has extensive expertise in the ports, terminals and logistics corridors sector across numerous countries on the African continent.
Please navigate to our signature matters page to view highlighted signature matters for Shipping.
Click here to download our Enforcement and Defence of Maritime Claims in South Africa guide.
Southern Africa’s dangerous coastline is notorious for serious high profile losses. We strive to provide immediate legal and practical assistance. Our shipping experts are available 24 hrs a day via our National Helpline (+27 21 480 7920). In case of emergency, the following people will be available:
- Acting for Deutsche Bank in a mortgage foreclosure and judicial sale of a vessel in Namibia
- The Seaspan Grouse: Seaspan Holdco 1 Ltd vs Mare Traveller Schiffahrts GmbH  ZASCA
- Contaminated bunker supply
- Mortgage foreclosure and judicial sale of the “Pretty Scene” in South Africa
- Water ingress to the stern tube system on board a vessel off the South African coast
- Mortgage foreclosures and judicial sales in Namibia
- Mortgage foreclosure and judicial sale of the “Sadan K” and “Zeynep K” in South Africa
- Collision between the “Sunrise Jade” and the “Lezandi”
- Various claims involving shipments of maize from Central America
- Fire on board the “Maersk Londrina”
- The Red Fin: LBH Mozambique Limitada v Fund Consisting of the Proceeds of the Sale of the Cargo of 4,904.78 Tons of Chromite Ore Concentrates Lately Laden on Board and Another  ZAKZDHC
- Vessel touched the bottom of Berth 15 at the port of Maputo, Mozambique
- OW Bunkers
- Potential pollution incident at the SBM at Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- The Silver Star: Owners of the MV Silver Star v Hilane Ltd 2015 (2) SA 331 (SCA)
- Loss of cargo overboard from the “Seroja Lima”
- Fire on board the “Tai Shan”