- Significant Matters
Frequent changes in tax law in various African countries, creates a need for access to specialised and professional tax advice.
Our tax lawyers have knowledge based on years of experience and a depth and breadth of tax law skills that few are able to match. We provide tax efficient business solutions by combining this strength with commercial acumen.
Our services range from the tax aspects of corporate transactions to financial structuring and project finance matters to the tax implications of employment decisions. We also handle tax litigation and dispute resolution on behalf of our clients.
Our corporate, banking and finance and commercial lawyers work closely with our tax lawyers to ensure that all aspects of transactions (including mergers and acquisitions, private equity transactions, cross-border investment structures and corporate restructures) are thoroughly considered and planned.
We provide much sought after advice on all tax and regulatory aspects relating to international trade (imports, exports and local manufacturing of goods), particularly customs and excise tax and exchange control.
We represent taxpayers in negotiations with the tax authorities. Where necessary we lobby tax authorities and make representations on a wide range of issues relating to new legislation, obtaining directives and dispute resolution.
Our service extends to alternative dispute resolution proceedings where we regularly act on behalf of tax payers by lodging objections, appeals and review applications against tax assessments.
We have specialist knowledge of a variety of sectors including construction and infrastructure, energy, financial services, logistics, mining, real estate and telecommunications.
Our clients include leading corporates, retail and investment banks, financial institutions and high net-worth individuals in the countries in which we operate. We also work with international law firms to service their clients expanding into Africa.
Click here to download our tax brochure.
- Bowmans advises Airports Company South Africa on customs and excise legislation rollout
- Bowmans advises Superior Homes (Kenya) on further acquisition of shares in it by Cytonn Inestment Partners Fifteen LLP
- Bowmans advises General Motors South African on disposal of Isuzu business
- Bowmans advises Northern Platinum in relation to Glencore International chrome plant operation and maintenance
- The slot charterers of the “Maersk Londrina” and their P&I insurers
- Bowmans advises Alexander Forbes in relation to African Rainbow Capital transaction
- Bowmans advises Dis-Chem Pharmacies on second largest IPO on the JSE in 2016
- Bowmans advises SABMiller in relation to acquisition by AB InBev
- Bowmans advises World Triathlon Corporation and Ironman Epic Holdings on their acquisition of company responsible for the ABSA Cape Epic, the world’s foremost mountain-bike stage race
- Bowmans advises Plum LLP in relation to Britam acquisition
- Bowmans advises Clicks in asset for share transaction relating to BTB Media, Clicks Mobile Communications and Sorbet
- Bowmans advises Wilderness Holdings on its acquisition of the Governors’ Camp Group of Companies in Kenya and Rwanda
- Rio Tinto International Holdings Limited